Monday 21 November 2016

The Buried Symbol - Jeffery L. Kohanek | Review


↠ The Buried Symbol by Jeffery L.  Kohanek 

Read the full summary and check out other books by Jeffery L. Kohanek on this Goodreads link.


Quick overview:
Brock has been living his whole life in a society where a rune is the marking of your place in society. Without this rune, he is doomed to live out his life below the lowest rung of the social ladder. 
Brock is unwilling to accept his fate and is willing to risk his life to obtain a fake rune that marks him as a member of the Empire's ruling class. 
He then embarks on a journey to an institution where the Empire's future leaders are trained. 
As a student of the academy, Brock uncovers a chain of secrets that had been kept hidden for centuries. 

Personal opinion on the book:
As soon as I started reading this book, I found that my brain went crazy. Like literally! The plot is literally killer and it blew me away!
Basically imagine Divergent mixed with a little something of it's own. When children are young (or at least I think when they are young - I have forgotten the specifics), they are tattooed with a rune on their forehead. This ruin allocates their position in society. If you have the tailor rune you will become a tailor apprentice and then that is the only career that you are allowed to enter. If you do not have a ruin,, you do not have a designated role in society and are thus known as an unchosen. 
This idea kinda reminded me of Tinkerbell... 😅


Basically, Brock never got a rune. And forgive me for my vagueness, but I am trying to avoid spoilers!

This book was pretty incredible at making me think about the marginalized people in society. It also made me decide that I will NEVER be brave enough to get a tattoo on my forehead. Probably because the last time I had a blood test I passed out... LOL!

Anyway, I overall really liked this book and found that it was actually so incredible and thought provoking! Really liked this book!

Star rating (out of 5):
This book was really great! I really loved how thought provoking it was! Overall, must give it a rating of 3/5 stars. 


~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I would like to say a massive thank you to Jeffery for providing me with a copy of this book to review! It is always so lovely to be able to be contacted by authors and be able to talk to them about their book. I highly enjoyed reading this novel and recommend checking it out yourself!

Until next time, keep reading!
- Shelbi (Book Ambrosia)

No comments:

Post a Comment