Sunday 1 January 2017

Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier | Book Review


Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier

General Overview:
Time-traveling is hard enough on its own, now add in a mysterious chronograph, a telepathic founder of the Guardians, a hot green-eyed boy and the ability to see dead people and you have Gwen’s life.
This book is the perfect mix of mystery, time-travel and adventure and is sure to appeal to everyone’s interests.
So if you would like to get a (highly spoilery) review of this book, feel free to ‘read more’ :)



Opinion of the Book:
How does one put so many feels into one book only 354 pages long? At the beginning of this book, I was quite firmly standing by my opinions on particular characters*, but now I am questioning E V E R Y T H I N G!

*Especially ones with stunning green eyes  

Like, umm, Kerstin Gier is a master of the feels! This book is just so easy to read (I finished it in three days) and it just flows so well! But please, if you don’t want a 1000-word essay to read, don’t even mention the cliff-hanger!

I am overwhelmed with happiness that I was gifted the complete box-set for Christmas – this way I don’t have to try and hunt down someone who owns book three and borrow (cough – steal), it off them!

I have never really read many time-travel books, but this actually leaves me wishing my mother lied about my birthday, making me a magical time traveller!

One thing that I love about the storyline is the simply put complexity of it (I know that may sound like I just wrote three random words, but give me a minute to explain!).

So basically, the whole three books have one overruling goal that is trying to be achieved (this is closing the chronograph). But the books are not focused on only that. There are so many branching storylines and different twists and turns that happened.

Basically, I liked the last book, but I L O VE this book!

Character Analysis:
Gwen – This poor girl! Book one and two have taken place in under a week, and the amount of shiz that this poor young girl has had to go through is just unbelievable! She is having to live he normal life, deal with seeing ghosts, time-travel and boy issues, as well as trying to solve this chronograph mystery! So go girl! Whenever I start to question things that she does, I think back to how little trust and information people are providing her with! This stupid inner circle need to just trust this poor girl and stop tying the silly blind fold around her eyes – thus messing up her eighteenth century hair!

Gideon – He is one complex dude! He is so bi-polar and whenever I think of him, I mentally start singing Katy Perry’s ‘Hot and Cold.’ I think it could be his anthem! One minute he is literally making out with Gwen, and the next he thinks that she is trying to get his lured into a trap... This multiple time-line thing can really get to someone’s head! To be honest, I spent 342 pages of this book with a strong dislike for him. But in the last 12 pages, my opinion for him shot through the roof. I feel like the epilogue provided such a necessary insight into how although Gideon acts all tough, he is still just a confused young man who has had a great amount of pressure out on his shoulders. He does need to get his shiz together in regards to both Gwen and Charlotte, he cannot continue to keep leading both of them on. Also, his ‘love confession’ for Gwen was L A M E! He better really step up his game by book 3...

Charlotte – She is so annoying and honestly I wish I could just CTRL + Z this one. I have so many conflicting emotions when it comes to her! Like on one hand I feel so bad for her and like she deserves a big old hug. She had literally been training her whole life to become a time traveller, she lost her childhood for this cause. And it was literally all for nothing. Her whole life, she was told she was special and the chosen one. But now, her dorky and unprepared cousin has come and taken everything away from her! I can understand why she is clinging so hard to Gideon. B U T, on the other hand, she is such a bully and a jealous brat towards Gwen! Gwen never asked to inherit the time-traveling gene! But, I have a feeling that Charlotte will probably play a more important role in book 3. And I am quite interested in hearing about her perspective on everything that has gone on.

Lesley – I literally love Lesley so much! I know I mentioned it in my review of Ruby Red (which you can check out on THIS LINK), but she would make the coolest friend! She is so loyal, open-minded and just down right cool! I love her passion for solving mysteries and I only just thought of this, but how cool would it be for Lesley to have a spin-off mystery series! (Well I think it would be super cool!) She is so cool, and I love the support that she provides for Gwen. So shout out to my new fictional BFF!

Paul & Lucy – I just had to categorise them as ‘one’ person, because that’s what they are right?... I cannot help but like them. Sure, I didn’t get to see as much of them in this book, but I still think that there is a hidden motive behind why they stole the chronograph! The epilogue kind of gave a really good insight into why Paul and Lucy have taken certain actions. I am also a firm believer that Paul and Lucy are Gwen’s parents. Yes, I know it may be wrong and a little farfetched, but I cannot help but think that it is the truth. Especially after the epilogue!

The Count – He is the creepiest and most manipulative dude ever! Like I feel so bad for Gwen, he is making her already pretty hard to deal with ‘time-traveling’ ordeal 100x worse than it has to be! But, I cannot help but feel like he is the ultimate bad guy in this whole series! I know that all of the characters in this book think that he is the literal bee’s knees, but I think this guy is S K E T C H Y! Hell, he can talk in people’s minds and strangle them with his thoughts! (Apparently he can control people as well, but I haven’t seen that yet...) Basically, I think that all of these time travellers have put their faith in the totally wrong person!  

The Verdict – Star Rating:
As per expected, this book lived up to my high expectations and was an absolutely fabulous and fast read. I highly enjoyed this book and am very excited, yet sad to read the last book in this fantastic series!

Therefore, I give this book a rating of 5/5 stars!


Honestly, this star rating cannot be unexpected. This series just keeps on getting better and better! Loved it and am in love with this series!



Bloggers Note:
I don’t have too much to say in this ‘bloggers note,’ apart from quickly explaining my new way of writing my posts.

So basically, I have found that my reviews are more emotive and frankly quite better when I write them I M M E D I A T E L Y after I finish reading the book. That way all of the ‘feels’ and emotions are still fresh in my brain. I also find that it is a super good way to process the book and it helps me ‘move on’ to the next book and prevent a reading slump.

I have also found out that if blogging was a subject, I would pass with flying colours! I can literally write upwards of 1000 words in one sitting... Haha!

So I hope that everyone had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year’s!

Until next time, keep reading!

-Shelbi (Book Ambrosia) 

No comments:

Post a Comment