Saturday 31 December 2016

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare | Book Review


City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

General Overview:
The worldwide phenomena, The Mortal Instruments Series, starts with the City of Bones. With Shadowhunters, demons, warlocks, vampires and werewolves; this series has taken the world by storm.



Opinions of the Book:
I am not exactly sure how to describe how I felt about this book... I have heard everyone rave on about this series for such a long time, that I was expecting a little something more.

Yes, people have explained this book as more a ‘setting the scene’ book, but still. Where were the dramatic fight scenes and witty dialogue? – Don’t get me wrong, there were about six different one-liners that I literally ‘laughed out loud’ about. But overall, I didn’t really fall in love with any of the characters or even the story.

But, I believe that I have been “tainted” in a way. I have watched both the movie and TV show before I finally decided to read this book. So I already have opinions and bias in relation to the characters, events, actions and plot.

But talking about the TV show! Who else is literally pumped as for Season 2?! Because I CANNOT WAIT!

But overall, I was disappointed. I have been told that I need to persist, because the series gets 100% better. But at this point in time, I am kind of content with leaving this series for another day. The books are not going anywhere, and I already have books 1-3 sitting on my bookshelf.

I know that I will probably come back to this series, read it and I may even love it. But at this point in time, I am going to just say that I am (for once in my life) more of the movie and TV show fan.

The Verdict – Star Rating:
I wish that I liked this book more, because I love the idea of the characters and the world – I have heard so much praise from friends. But I was just not able to really get into it enough for me to want to quickly start reading the other books in the series.

I still liked the book, don’t get me wrong. But at this point in time, I am going to have to give this book a rating of 2.5/5 stars.
I still love the characters and the storyline, but I feel like this book was a little slow for my liking. 



Bloggers Note:
HAPPY NEW YEAR! I hope that everyone has had an amazingly safe and exciting New Year!

On the 3rd of January, it will be the one-year anniversary of my blog! I cannot believe that I have almost reached a year of blogging and sharing my love for books with you all!

I am hoping that I will very soon be able to share with you all a new banner and a bunch of other new features in honour of my blog turning 1!
I’ll keep this short, but thank you all so much for reading, commenting, contacting me about books over this past year. I am so lucky to be able to share my love for books with fellow book-lovers!

Until next time, keep reading!

-Shelbi (Book Ambrosia)

No comments:

Post a Comment