Monday 26 December 2016

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier | Book Review


Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

General Overview:
With dark secrets, fancy dresses, swoon-worthy time travellers and an unknown mystery. This book is sure to appeal to the fantasy and sci-fi lovers; with a hint of romance and a dash of mystery. We are left with the perfect blend that will appeal to many readers.
So if you would like to get a (highly spoilery) review of this book, feel free to ‘read more’ :)


The Characters:
Gwen - She is legit really cool, I like the way she has respect for herself and is quite a strong character, she has been thrown into this complete surreal and secretive world, and is handling it like a gem! (If you have read this book you would have probably picked up on my ‘gem’ pun...) I think that she is quite a well-supported character, and for that she should be grateful. Although all the people around her appear to ‘want’ something from her, she does have support through friends, family and the ‘secret gemstone cult’ (as I like to call it).

Lindsey – She is Gwen’s BFF, and I can honestly totally see why, she is a totally fun, quirky and intelligent character. Honestly, i could imagine myself getting along with this character quite well. She is probably one of the main reasons why poor Gwen doesn’t have multiple breakdowns while she is going through this whole ordeal! I just L O V E the way that she researches into everything and finds legitimate information that actually helps! (She kind of reminds me of Stiles from teen wolf – the main character would be quite lost without their help!)

Charlotte – Many thoughts and emotions spark when I think of her! She is quite honestly such an awful person to Gwen and the rest of Gwen’s immediate family. But at the same time, i cannot help but feel bad for the poor girl. After being told her whole life that she is special and deserves to be known as something great, being a ‘chosen one,’ she has suddenly had all that taken away from her. Yes, she is still an arrogant and rude cousin to Gwen, but that is all she has been taught to behave like.

Gideon – He can only be known as being ‘hotter than hell’ (yes, i did have the song by the same title stuck in my head when I was thinking about him). He basically sounds like swoon with an extra scoop of worthy! Except.... for the fact that he bosses Gwen around, treats her like she is useless and also has some secret relationship going on with Charlotte! (Which i think is stupid, because charlotte sounds awful!)
And basically all of the other characters in this novel need to sit down and watch an episode of PLL to understand that secrets are dumb and can make people die! Like seriously people! It is not that hard to get the gist that secret gemstone cults are probably going to end up with a bad guy traveling through time causing a whole lot of T R O U B L E!
And all of the males should also keep in mind that they will be in more trouble if they keep being so gosh darn sexist! TBH, the females in this book (except Charlottes mum) seem a whole lot sensible than the males!


The Multitude of Questions:
This book is legit the most interesting time travel book I have ever read!... Which basically means that is must have a complex plot and an engaging storyline. Which I am proud to say that is does possess! B U T! That also means that I have a LOT of questions!

What is this secret society?

What is this secret time machine device meant to do?

Who are Lucy and Paul? And why did they steal the machine?

What is Gideon and Charlotte’s relationship?

Could Lucy and Paul be Gwen’s parents...?

What will happen when they have all 12 gemstone’s blood?

Why can Gwen see ghosts?

Why is the Count such a scary character? (Apart from the fact his name sounds like count Dracula)

Why can’t Lucy tell the Count about her powers?

And there are just so many more questions! This book was just so amazing at getting me to be V E R Y interested in the storyline!


The Verdict – Star Rating:
First and foremost, I must give a shootout to my beautiful cousin and friend Lea. Thank you for secretly getting this book series for me, and for literally forcing me to read it! The first book was just as good as you screamed it would be. I love you.
Now, drumroll please! I give this book a star rating of:



Honestly, it’s probably not even a surprise... Five out of five stars perfectly describes my new love for this book!
This book is amazing and everyone should read it! Even if you haven’t really read many time travel books like myself, this book is just great!


Bloggers Note:
Sorry this review may be a bit confusing, but I wrote this just after I finished the book, and I had to get all of my feels written down! I don’t go into much detail about what the book is actually about, so please click the link below to read over the summary!

Umm, guys, this is not a drill. I HAVE HIT OVER 5000 VIEWS ON MY BLOG! This is actually so amazing!

I started this blog at the beginning of 2016, and now that it is almost the end of 2016, I have hit over 5000 page views!!!

This actually means so much to me. All I want to do is be able to share my passion for reading with you all! And through all of the motivation and support I have received from authors, publishers, readers, commenters and fellow bloggers; i feel as though I have been able to really find some amazing books that I have been able to share with you all.

I hope that you have all had a Merry Christmas and I wish you all a Happy New Year! Make sure to spend it with friends and family whom you love and until next time, keep reading!

-Shelbi (Book Ambrosia) 

No comments:

Post a Comment