Thursday 12 January 2017

Fallen by Lauren Kate | Book Review

Fallen by Lauren Kate

General Overview:
This book is the perfect mix of fallen angels and Romeo & Juliet. With star-crossed lovers, reincarnation and a battle of light vs dark, this book is not just about the fallen, but about the power of love and sacrifice...
So if you would like to get a (highly spoilery) review of this book, feel free to ‘read more’ :)



Opinion of the Book:
Let’s just say that I have a love-hate relationship with books that end like this one did! Basically now that I have read the epilogue, I N E E D to read the next book. I am so intrigued about what’s the deal between Cam and Daniel! They are both so mysterious and I cannot help it! Cam is awesome! Like, he seems so nice and cute, but he is evil, yet all he wants is Luce? Basically I just need to know more!
And since I have already started this review off backwards (as in starting from the end of the book) why not continue that pattern?

So on to my other fav characters! Gabbie and Arriane! Both so different, yet both so lovely and sweet and not to mention kick-ass! I just love when there is a strong female lead, and since Luce didn’t really fit that role, these two were my saving grace! I cannot be the only one who suddenly develops an accent while reading all of Gabbie’s speaking parts am I? Because when she talks I read it as her having this cute little Southern drawl.

But one person who I don’t think we will be hearing from again is poor Penn. She was such a lovely and loyal friend to Luce, yet she got killed by some evil religion teacher! Basically, it was a really bad way to go. But at least her character is now with her dead father... :’(

However, I think it is fair time for me to discuss the elephant in the room... Luce and Daniel. So, I understand that the whole book is all about love persevering overall and how you should fight for love, but to be honest I found their love story a tad bit boring... Sure, this does have a big influence on the story, but I felt like their ‘love’ was bland and lacking sustenance.

I understand that they have loved one another for centuries, but really? Did the whole book have to just be about Daniel ignoring Luce? With the book only deciding to get really interesting in the last few chapters? Like, yes it worked. I am hooked and will probably read book two. But I feel like this book could have had a greater underlying plot than just their love and a tiny bit of information on a great fallen angel war...

But overall I actually didn’t mind it. It was an easy read, not quite as engaging as what I would have liked. But it was still good. And I hear that it has been turned into a film, with the movie coming out this year! So I am obviously pumped as for that! Even if it is just so that I can harshly judge the movie compared to the book.  

The Verdict – Star Rating:
This book, although with a little lacking in its plot, was still a pretty good read. So I will have to give this book a rating of 3.5/5 stars.
 I liked the story line, but only really got into the last few chapters. Definitely enough of an incentive to read book two. But not enough to say that I ‘loved’ this book.  

Quote of the Book:
“It’s just a lot of beating until eventually everyone gets tired and we call it a night.”Daniel


Bloggers Note:
So basically I received a death threat from a friend of mine to read this book. But I also received a death threat from another friend to not read this book. Obviously, I decided that I would have to read it for myself so that I could understand what the big deal was... And honestly, I can see why it is being made into a movie. The story line, is sweet yet simple. Basically very easy to turn this popular book into a movie.


I cannot wait to go and see the movie, but I also really want to know more about Cam & Daniel and Gabbie & Arriane. Those are my two favourite combos in the book. Both really intrigue me. I want to know more about why they are where they are and also how Daniel and Luce’s love directly effects them....
So basically, keep an eye out for a ‘Book Girl Talks the Movie’ post all about the movie Fallen.

Until next time, keep reading!

-Shelbi 

No comments:

Post a Comment