Saturday 9 April 2016

Hollow City review - written by Ransom Riggs

Attention! This review may contain spoilers that could reveal the story line or events that occur over the duration of the book. If this does not bother you, or if you would just like to get a better feel of what this book is about before you read it, please feel free to carry on and enjoy this review. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quick overview:
With their headmistress being stuck in her bird form and there loop being destroyed, Jacob and his friends must travel across London and through time to find a way to save Miss Peregrine. On a time limit of three days to do the impossible, will these peculiar children be able to work their way out of trouble and save Miss Peregrine


(Book 2 in the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series: Hollow City by Ransom Riggs)

Read the full summary and check out other books by Ransom Riggs on this Goodreads link.


Personal opinion on the book:
I typically HATE the second books in series, and to be honest I only wanted to read the first book because it's movie adaptation is coming out soon. But O M DOUBLE G! This book was so amazing! It flawlessly connected to the first book and I was instantly intrigued from the first page.
I love the way that photographs were used, if anything it made the book! 
But one thing that annoys me is when I try and tell people how AMAZING this series is and they say, "But the cover looks kind of scary and I don't really like the pictures..." All I can say is SORRY! I am sorry for the way you are so close minded and are not open to reading new and AMAZING books! 
Also, I have a bone to pick with QUIRK publishing house, the design on the side of book one and two DO NOT LINE UP!
This is NOT OK! This is EVIL! I will not stand for this!
*pants heavily* Okay, sorry. I am good now. It just upsets me a little... 


Hidden message and consequential thinking:
This book really made me think about loyalty. I believe that loyalty is one of the most important things in a friendship, if anything sometimes it defines a relationship. 
When I was younger I found that not many of my friends had true loyalty towards me. I moved to a new school and tried to call and message my friend from my old school, but she just didn't seem to care about showing loyalty towards me and I haven't heard from her in five years. 
Now, this is not just some sob story about my old best friend, but through this, I learnt that I would always be loyal towards my friends. 
This book showed true loyalty, from never giving up on each other, to being there for one another. 

Quote of the book:

Do you ever find yourself climbing into a grave during a bombing raid and wish you'd just stayed in bed? Jacob
Books in the series: 
  1. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
  2. Hollow City
  3. Library of Souls

Star rating (out of 5):
I give this amazing book a star rating of 5/5 stars. I found that this was an absolutely amazing second book in the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series and I was so impressed by it. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Thanks so much for checking out this review! 
Lately I have actually been so into bookstigram, tweeting about my books and just reading in general! 
I have been a little crazy with my reading requirements, I have about eight books that I have to read for review and a few promo posts that I have to have done by the end of THIS MONTH! That is just crazy! 
Ever since I have started this amazing blogging passion of mine, I have found that there are so many amazing authors, bloggers and book-loving people out there who are so supportive and encouraging of my LOVE for books. 
So thank you to everyone who contacts me or simply reads my post, it really means a lot!

Until next time, keep reading!
-Shelbi (Book Ambrosia)

No comments:

Post a Comment