Saturday 29 October 2016

The Trials of Apollo review - by Rick Riordan

Attention! This review may contain spoilers that could reveal the story line or events that occur over the duration of the book. If this does not bother you, or if you would just like to get a better feel of what this book is about before you read it, please feel free to carry on and enjoy this review!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quick overview:
The all powerful Apollo is (obviously) a devastatingly handsome and all powerful God. So it is a big surprise when he wakes up and is no longer in his Godly form and is instead stuck as a (slightly) overweight and acne covered teenager called Lester... Getting beat up by a gang of street thugs is only the first of his issues, he is now stuck with a fashion disaster of a young demigod and has to save the wrld! But most importantly... he has to get rid of this acne!

(Trials of Apollo by Rick Riordan)

Read the full summary and check out other books by Rick Riordan on this Goodreads link.


Personal opinion on the book:
So it actually took me SOOO many month to read this book... Like, I liked this book, but dang I think I read like 5 other books at the same time I read this. From the very first chapter of this book I was immediately swept back into  Rick Riordan's world. This actually inspired my to start a (now crazily large) Pintrest board just so that I could gather all of my favorite Percy Jackson fan art and just put it in one place and be able to fan girl about it whenever I wanted. *forced laughter while slowly backing away*...


The actual book itself was a little weird... Like I just didn't fall in love with it as much as I thought I would. Apollo was so cool, and his character had a lot of progression, but I just didn't really feel it...
The supporting characters were a bit bland and the actual story line of the book was a little underwhelming. 
Now please don't get me wrong! The Camp Half-Blood world is easily one of my favorite worlds and I love it so much! But this book just didn't really make me fall in love with it as much as Rick Riordan's others.
Overall, this book was still really great and I am absolutely going to read and other books in the Trials of Apollo series. But I am most looking forward to reading the Magnus Chase series. I just cannot wait to read a series that explores the Norse Gods!!! 


Star rating (out of 5):
This book was quite different to what I expected it to be. It wasn't quite as 'individual' as I would have liked it to be. And although I still loved it, I was a little disappointed. IIt kinda felt like a rewrite of the Percy Jackson series (WHICH I LOVE), but just with different characters. I did love the way that Apollo was written and the way his character began to change and develop over the book. But overall, this book was still incredible, just not my favorite by Rick Riordan, so i give this book a rating of 3/5 stars.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you read this, write in the comments "I am a demigod!"
Okay so now that my strange wish to get you to comment about being a half godly being in the comments is over, I would like to thank you for reading this post! I seriously would love to just have a nice cup of tea/coffee/hot chocolate with everyone who reads my blog just so that I can let you know how much I appreciate it!
I have been very inactive lately, and for that I am sooo sorry! I have just been really caught up in other things and haven't been able to get around to just sitting down and writing up a review. 
And trust me! It is not from lack of books to review! I have a stack of books on my desk that I need to write reviews for, but just haven't gotten around to writing up yet... oops?
But anyway, happy Halloween! Hope you all have a spooky time and all of you get heaps of candy! 

Thank you for reading and keep an eye out for my next review! :)

Until next time, keep reading!
-Shelbi (Book Ambrosia)

No comments:

Post a Comment