Friday 12 August 2016

Vic Challenger: Fast - written by Jerry Gill | Review

Attention! This review may contain spoilers that could reveal the story line or events that occur over the duration of the book. If this does not bother you, or if you would just like to get a better feel of what this book is about before you read it, please feel free to carry on and enjoy this review!

I received this book for free as a physical copy, kindly provided to me by the amazing author of the book - Jerry Gill!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quick overview:
Vic is a reincarnated cave girl, she is on the ultimate quest to find her soul mate. But along with this journey, Vic and her best friend, Lin, writers and well trained warriors, go on a series of death-defying adventures that test their skills. 
On this adventure, the two writers travel to Australia to visit Vic's family as well as receive inspiration for their writing. But when the map to a family treasure is stolen, it becomes personal. The girls set out after the Bushrangers, and along the way face nameless creatures, shot-offs and much more! 
Join Vic and Lin on this action-packed adventure!


(Vic Challenger: Fast by Jerry Gill)

Read the full summary and check out other books by Jerry Gill on this Goodreads link.



Personal opinion on the book:
This is actually such a fun review to write up, because I decided that I would get sticky notes that I could write my comments and opinions on and stick into the book! It looks so cool and is really helpful while I am writing this! 
Upon reviving this book, my first though was, this is so COOL! It's a book based in Australia! I also couldn't get over the fact that in English class I had just finished a unit on Australian representations! Like what an incredible coincidence!...
Once I started reading the book, I realised that it was actually a really amazing action-packed adventure! And one of the additional things that just makes this book all the better is the fact that although this is book #5, I am still able to read it and completely understand the story line although I haven't read the other books.
The book also felt very set apart from any other of the book I have recently read, this book was set in the 1920's (I believe) and it was written really well and the time era was able to be seen through the writing of the story. Overall, this already set this book into my good books! (Please forgive my sad puns...)
Not only was this book action packed, but it also had so really deep and meaningful messages. One of the stand out paragraphs talks about journeys and home. It mentions that journeys end, but home is not something you want to be once upon a time. This quote (which I have typed up under the heading "Quote of the book") really spoke to me. I have always had a longing to travel, but it has reminded me that it is still important to not leave the people you love in the past, they will always be  with you. So live in the moment, but always keep in mind the people that you love.
The research that must have gone into writing this book is really amazing, but I honestly found it hilarious when it mentioned that Australia was an island! We are not an island, we are just a very small country! HAHA! 
While on the topic of the "Australian Representation," I also though about how strange it was that people from other countries do not have to worry about getting sun burnt the second they step into the sun. Also, when I was younger, a dry-as-a-bone was my life! It literally kept you dry as a bone when it rained!
This book also brought up some of the awful things that are happening in Australia and all across the world. People are being treated wrongly because of the colour of their skin! It is just not right and it need to be stopped, we are all people just the same and we all need to treat others as we would like to be treated! (Sorry, but this topic is very important! But rant done) It is pretty obvious that this book is amazing at bringing up feelings and emotions!
There were some disgusted emotions, but I was mainly hugely impressed by the amazing girl power in this book! My mum raised me to always be a fan of girl power, and I am still a very big fan of girls standing by each other, just like Vic and Lin did!
Now, although I found that this book was a very enjoyable read, it had plenty moments where I was kinda confused and weirded  out. This first thing is the cover, it is a bit strange. But after reading the book, it actually really suits aspects of the book! The next is how most of the fight scene's ended... Basically (spoiler alert) everyone dies.. It was so weird how whenever people were killed it was no big deal. Like, dude! You just killed someone! How you going to explain that to the police!? Another weird thing is that at one point Vic was swinging around like Tarzan! It was just so random! Also, there were some unknown animals with red eyes and tried to kill everyone!? Like what!?
And after all of these action and fight scene's, I felt like it was a tiny bit overdone... But the action scene's were all written well! Which made me very happy, I LOVE my action!
One more thing that just left me absolutely DISGUSTED! Was the fact that one of the men in the book killed and innocent man, which was bad, but the horrifying thing was that e then broke a horses leg and then killed it! I JUST HATE THAT! It was just such a horrifying thing to read! 
Now after I have gotten over that awful part of the book, I can now go onto something I though was adorable! They were in a car vs horse shot out, and Vic needed a gun, so a little girl picked it up and was like, "Here lady." It was just a really funny part! 
So overall, through reading my review it is pretty obvious that this book was amazing at getting the reader to feel a WIDE range of emotions! Basically, this book was actually really great! 

Quote of the book:
"Vic and Lin agreed upon trips and home. Journeys are good for life and help you better understand both yourself and the world. Journeys, though, are things that end. Journeys are left in the past. They never wanted to refer to home as once upon a time."

Star rating (out of 5):
This book was so amazing to read because it was a book written about Australia, it really did have so amazing content and I really enjoyed it. Although it was very different to what I usually read, it was still totally worth the read! I give this book a 3.5/5 stars. 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Okay, so that is actually the first down out of seven paperbacks that I have been sent out by publishers, publicist and authors! So this review is something very special to me! 
Thank-you for reading this, hope you enjoyed! 

Until next time, keep reading!
-Shelbi (Book Ambrosia)

No comments:

Post a Comment